To ensure that your compost is safe for your family and your garden, it is important to practice good hygiene and take care in what you add.
- Newspapers, magazines and paper: Check that paper materials have been printed with non-toxic inks
- Pet poo: Don’t add pet poo to compost that will be used in edible gardens
- Mix/aerate your compost regularly to maintain uniform conditions
It is also important to ensure that your compost has properly matured before adding it to your garden. Measuring changes in the temperature of the pile after turning can indicate the maturity of composted material:
- Compost that isn’t ready to use: Heats rapidly and continues to rise over time
- Compost that is ready to use: Heats slowly, if at all